Monday, August 25, 2008

The Bike



I bought it for $75 from someone locally on Craigslist. My hope is to get it working reliably enough that I can use it to cruise around Ames and on short trips as well.

Step 1 is getting it running. Before I splurge on a seat, brakes, tires, etc. I need to make sure the bike will at least run. There are quite a few missing parts like the exhaust, controls, and quite a few nuts and bolts, so figuring out what's missing is going to be the hardest part for now.

I picked up some penetrating lubricant, motor oil, and engine degreaser at Wal-Mart. I'll need new spark plugs as one's broken off inside its boot, plus new plugs would be a good idea anyway.

The carbs came separately in a plastic bag. They'll need to be rebuilt and put back onto the engine.

And hey, if the engine doesn't run I'll just convert it to an electric bike.




















Costs so far:

-Bike (Craigslist): $75
-New clutch and brake levers (eBay): $19.90
-Misc fluids: ~$12

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It reminds me of a movie... I don't remember wich one... If I do I'll let you know... good luck with your pyorect...

Mikael said...

World's Fastest Indian? When it's done I'm pretty sure it won't be the world's fastest anything...